Several years ago some of my regular clients started asking whether or not I worked with teens. I had never really considered working with them, but thought it would be interesting to give it a try.
Now I consider teens to be some of my favorite clientele. Not only are they are curious about what is going on with their bodies, they also really want to know what they can do to heal from an injury. They ask a lot of questions which opens up the opportunity to educate them.
Part of that education is empowering them to make informed choices surrounding the care of their body, establishing boundaries and practicing informed consent regarding touch. Additionally, I let them know that, like any other client:
- They can wear whatever amount of clothing makes them feel comfortable, or disrobe entirely.
- Only the area that is being directly massaged is undraped.
- Genitalia and breast tissue are never exposed or massaged.
Parents and teens please read
- Clients 13 and younger must have a parent or care-taker remain in the studio during the duration of the massage. You may sit either in the treatment room or in the waiting area with the door open.
- Clients 14 and older may choose whether or not to have their parent remain in the studio. I will ask permission from the teen to discuss any health matters with their parent.